Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Recap of the Week - Some Ups and Downs

This week felt like there were some ups and downs. Positive news, marginal workouts, insanely cold race, and stressful drama at work ... so here are the ‘highlights’ and dare I say lowlights?

Somehow I missed hitting my step target by a stupid few steps so that it reset my Step goal streak ... totally torqued me off, something so simple and yet it sticks in my head. I remember getting home from Big Spin and seeing how close I was to the target - and I remember thinking it would be no problem hitting the target just through normal walking around the house before bed. And yet I forgot to check when I actually went to bed - and missed it by fewer than 300 steps. GRRRRRRR.... so - Step Target Streak restarted 1/31/18. I’ve taken to using the Elliptical that is parked in our living room in the evenings to get my steps in - much more entertaining than walking circles in my basement.



Big Spin 1/31/18 was a Bike/Run night, and felt pretty good overall. The bike workout seemed almost too easy, but it was a guest leader - and I gather the goal was to work on consistent power/effort output. The run off the bike was working on negative splits, and it felt good to be working on speed again.



Wednesday is my work at home day, and I took advantage of being able to multi-task while queries are running and got in a little over 30 miles on the bike trainer in a couple of Zwift rides. Zwift and my Kickr Snap smart bike trainer have changed the game quite literally for me when it comes to time in the bike saddle and winter training. Truth be told, I could see myself doing the majority of my riding on the trainer, even as weather improves, purely because it’s safer - no danger of a car killing me when I’m on the bike trainer.





Thursday was a 4 mile easy-pace treadmill run - I’m juggling Garmin training plans, both for half marathons but with different target dates - BUT - to complicate training even further, my Olympic Distance Triathlon training plan officially started Monday 2/5/17 - I’ll recap how THAT is going in a future blog post.

Friday - another fabulous day off - still burning up PTO from work - I got in more Zwift bike trainer miles - around 20 miles in the morning, and another easy paced treadmill run - just 2.5 miles this time. After the treadmill run I was hankering for some more Zwift miles so I did another group ride, this time getting about 24 miles in.



Saturday was an ‘off’ day in that the pool at Henley was closed (apparently all weekend) and I didn’t feel like going to the JCC - and had a long run/race the following morning. Just did a few Elliptical workouts to get my ‘steps’ target met.

Sunday - another race day - this time just a 5K. I only registered for this one because I wanted to beat last year’s time at this same race - The Kickoff 5K. But... training plan called for a run around 80 minutes total - and I knew I wouldn’t want to do more miles AFTER the race - so I drug my but out of bed and made it to Sunday Runday with KC Running Company in Leawood - and did a 5K before the 5K. The temp was crazy cold - pretty sure the coldest race I’ve ever run, or at the least the coldest I can remember - but I did beat my time from last year by 2 minutes and 18 seconds.... which was a bigger margain than I expected, so a pleasant surprise. I was thoroughly frozen by the end of the race and plotted a fabulous vegetable soup as warm-up food when I got home. Strangely enough I wanted some more bike miles - and need up with around 25 total between 2 Zwift group rides.








Weight - well, the boomerang I expected happened - and I’m back above my end of January goal - but trying not to get too discouraged by it - still working on meeting my end of February goal.

Onward and forward - the next blog post shares the nice surprise and honor I received in the mail just  today. I truly am blessed.

Keep on trucking ... everyone out there in the blogosphere on the interwebs ....

No comments:

Post a Comment